Give a Gift with Impact this Mother’s Day

Posted: 06-May-2021

How do you give mom the best gift ever?

With Mother’s Day just around the corner, this is typically a time for many of us to honour mom with a giant hug and a heartfelt thank you. For others, it’s a day to remember a mother who is no longer with us but lives on in the legacy she left behind.

Although this year’s Mother’s Day celebrations may look a bit different, you can still honour your mother – by helping another. After all, wasn’t it your mother who taught you the importance of being kind?

You can celebrate all the special mothers in your life and say thank you by donating to Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region to help give another mother a hand-up. You can do good together and give the gift of a new start.

Your support makes a difference. It gives more mothers and local families the opportunity to thrive, instead of just survive. It gives children a safe and stable place to lay their heads at night and a home they can be proud of.

Every mother needs to know her children have a safe place to call home and every parent wants a better future for their family.

Mothers like Shannon.

Shannon is the proud mother of two wonderful children and has a decent job working at a local medical clinic. But her family is currently living in a rental home that has lots of problems and doesn’t give the family a sense of security or the feeling of a happy home.

The roof leaks when it rains, there’s mold in the bathroom, and there’s water damage in one of the children’s bedrooms. But like many single mothers, homeownership was not possible on a single income – and this was all Shannon could afford by herself.

“It was financially impossible to save a down payment while paying high rental costs on my own,” says Shannon. “It wasn’t enough to buy anything independently on a single income.”

But soon, thanks to the kind support of donors like you, life will look very different for Shannon and her family.

“I cried tears of joy hearing the news that I was accepted to the Habitat homeownership program.”

Shannon continues, “To have the opportunity to own a home and know that you have stability and are building equity is an amazing thing. I won’t have to worry about whether or not I have to move if my rental is sold and where I could go with the skyrocketing housing prices.”

In a year when mothers have been called upon to do even more (often simultaneously) – from homeschooling and working on the front lines or working from home, to parenting or caring for isolated family members or friends – mothers have shown this year why they are superheroes – superheroes who deserve to be celebrated now more than ever.

Celebrate mom by giving a gift with impact this Mother’s Day.

Your donation will help mothers like Shannon have their lives and futures forever changed, all because our community cared and donated.

That’s the magic of the Habitat homeownership model. Fueled by supporters like you, we are giving local mothers a hand-up to build brighter futures for their families.

So whether Mother’s Day feels joyful or hurts a little, give a gift in honour or in memory of mom, and help Habitat moms leave a legacy of their own through decent, affordable housing.

We cannot build without your help!

This Mother’s Day, please share in the celebration of our Habitat moms, and all the mothers in our lives that you love and cherish. Your gift will help make much-needed safe, decent, and affordable homes a reality for more mothers and children in the Peterborough and Kawartha Region.