What it means to partner with us
Do you dream of owning your own home, but despite all your efforts, are having trouble saving enough for a down payment and don’t qualify for a conventional mortgage? Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region may be able to help.
We partner with families to help them build and buy their own home through a unique affordable homeownership solution. Learn about the steps to homeownership and find out if you qualify.
Qualify with an income of $30,000 – $61,500
The Family Selection Criteria
Habitat for Humanity partners with families who are ready for the responsibility and challenges of homeownership. To qualify for a Habitat home, you must meet the following criteria:
Need for Affordable Housing
- Current housing is substandard; either overcrowded, unsafe or high rent relative to your income and /or you would not qualify for a traditional mortgage.
Ability to Pay
- Have a stable/consistent source of income
- Your income must be within the low income cut-off range. People receiving social assistance may apply if there is an additional source of income in the family
- You must not have an overwhelming amount of debt (Any bankruptcy has been discharged for at least 3 years)
- All family members must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and have worked or lived in Peterborough, Peterborough County, City of Kawartha Lakes or Haliburton for 1 year
- Your annual family income must fall between $30,000 – $64,300
Willingness to Partner
- You are willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity; families must achieve 500 ‘sweat equity ‘ hours by helping to construct their own home or through various Habitat programs
- You are willing to accept all the responsibilities of homeownership including insurance, taxes, utilities, maintenance and other common homeowner expenses
- Your are willing to participate in Habitat’s ‘Family Partner Program’ which offers support and guidance in all aspects of homeownership
- You are willing to work towards building solid relationships with volunteers donors, community members and neighbours as a Habitat homeowner