you could be a homeowner
Do you dream of owning your own home, but despite all your efforts, are having trouble saving enough for a down payment and don’t qualify for a conventional mortgage? Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region may be able to help.
Decent, affordable homeownership may be closer than you think. We partner with individuals, couples, seniors, and families in Peterborough and Kawartha Region to help them buy their own homes through a unique affordable homeownership solution. Scroll down to learn about the steps to homeownership and find out if you qualify.
Do you want to learn more about the new-build 12-unit condo building in the city of Peterborough, the 4-bedroom move-in ready home in Lindsay, and the 3-4 bedroom 3D printed home in Fraserville? Sign up for a virtual info session.
Stay up to Date
Register your interest in upcoming and current homeownership opportunities, subscribe to our newsletter, or stay tuned for events! Join a mailing list today. Unsubscribe at any time.
Family Selection Criteria
Affordable Housing Need
- Cannot qualify to purchase a home on your own
- Would not qualify for a traditional mortgage
- May have high rent relative to your income
Ability to Pay
- Have a stable/consistent source of income
- Your income must be within the low-income cut-off range. You must have a good standing credit score. People receiving social assistance may apply if there is an additional source of income in the family
- You must not have an overwhelming amount of debt (any bankruptcy and/or consumer proposal has been discharged for at least 3 years)
- All household members must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and have worked or lived in Peterborough, Peterborough County, City of Kawartha Lakes, or Haliburton for 1 year
- Your annual family income must fall between $35,000 – $84,000
Willing to Partner
- You are willing to accept all the responsibilities of homeownership including insurance, taxes, utilities, maintenance, and other common homeowner expenses
- You are willing to participate in Habitat’s ‘Family Partner Program’ which offers support and guidance in all aspects of homeownership to help you be successful as a new homeowner
- You are willing to work towards building solid relationships with volunteers, donors, community members, and neighbours as a Habitat homeowner
- You are willing to partner with Habitat - all Habitat homeowner families must achieve 500 'sweat equity' hours by helping to construct their own home or through various Habitat programs and workshops
To determine eligibility, interested applicants must complete our Expression of Interest Form. Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region's Family Services team will review all pre-screening applications. Eligible applicants will be asked to attend an information session and complete a full application form.
Steps to Apply
Apply online by completing the expression of interest form
Application is reviewed by the Housing Program Manager, and the applicant will be contacted to verify information, be placed on hold or declined.
If the process is continued, the applicant is sent the long form application, which will provide documentation to support the information provided.
If the process is continued, the applicant will be asked for an in-home interview.
If the process is continued, the application is sent to the financial institution for review.
If determined to be a good partner for Habitat for Humanity, the applicant(s) meet with the Housing Program Manager to discuss the 500 Sweat Equity hours to be completed, the workshops that need to be completed, and the letter of agreement details for Homeownership.
Questions? Please contact