Meet Angela – Leahy’s Lane

Posted: 04-Oct-2022

For me, home is a safe place, a place to feel secure and happy,” says Angela.

Angela had always dreamed of owning her own home, but with the high housing market, finding a decent and affordable house to purchase in the Peterborough area was challenging.

Angela first learned about Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region and its mission to provide safe, decent, and affordable housing, from a couple of friends who had received a hand-up into affordable homeownership thanks to Habitat PKR. After seeing the stabilizing force that their Habitat home provided for her friends, Angela decided to give it a try, and applied to Habitat PKR’s homeownership program.

Becoming a Habitat homeowner would change my future,” says Angela. “I wouldn’t have to worry about my lease being renewed or not, and I would be gaining equity.

Angela was excited to have been selected as one of the 41 new homeowners for Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region’s new affordable condo development on Leahy’s Lane in Peterborough.

She moved into her Habitat home this past April, once construction was complete.

A Habitat home provides a strong foundation for a family – an opportunity on which they can build a better life. A decent place to live and an affordable loan help homeowners save more, invest in education, pursue opportunities, and have more financial stability.

Habitat for Humanity homeowners must complete a minimum of 500 volunteer hours before they move into their Habitat homes. Angela was able to complete her hours by volunteering in our Habitat ReStores in Peterborough.

When she is not at work, Angela enjoys spending time with friends, listening to music, and going to the movies.

Prior to moving in, we asked Angela what the first thing she would do once moving into her new home:

I will make it my own.

Interested in learning more about Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region’s homeownership program? Click here