Meet Anne – Leahy’s Lane

Posted: 24-Feb-2022
Anne Homeowner

Having rented her home for her entire life, Anne has always dreamt of owning her own place. After the passing of her daughter that dream felt even more out of reach.

Anne is a mother and Nana who loves spending time with her children and grandchildren. Outside of her time spent with family, Anne recently took up kayaking and enjoys spending quiet time in nature.

Currently, Anne is living in a basement apartment to save money, but unfortunately the owner of the property decided to sell the home, leaving Anne to find a new place to live on a single income.

Fortunately, on her hunt for a new apartment, she came across an ad online for Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region’s 41-unit affordable condo development at Leahy’s Lane in Peterborough. Anne was familiar with Habitat for Humanity, and once she realized she could be eligible for a Habitat home, she applied right away!

Anne is excited to be one of the 41 homeowners moving into this innovative new condo development this year and to not have to pay rent to someone else again!

Being a homeowner to me at this point in my life means stability. At this age and stage, it means a lot.” says Anne.

Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha provides a hand-up to help local families and individuals realize their dream of homeownership.

As part of their partnership with Habitat for Humanity, all Habitat homeowners are required to complete a minimum of 500 volunteer hours before moving into their new home. Anne is currently getting her volunteer hours by helping Habitat Peterborough & Kawartha archive old documents and materials!

When asked what home means to her, Anne says, “Home to me is comfort. It is where my favourite things are. It is where I can be me. It is where my family can come and just be.”

The first thing I’ll do when I move in is breathe – relax – and enjoy the feeling! I just wish I could be sharing this with my daughter. Hopefully, she is smiling down on me. Maybe she had a hand in it somehow!” says Anne.

Interested in learning more about Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region’s homeownership program? Click here