Meet Kate – Leahy’s Lane

Posted: 29-Oct-2021
Homeowner Kate is leaning over top of a table and working on a piece of art work.

“Habitat for Humanity has made it possible for me to become a homeowner,” says Kate. “Owning my own home will take away the uncertainty that comes with renting.”

Kate has been selected as one of the 41 new homeowners for Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region’s innovative new affordable condo development on Leahy’s Lane in Peterborough. 

Like so many others, Kate had found homeownership unobtainable. After paying the costs of day-to-day living, there just was not enough money left over to save for a down payment – especially on a single income. 

I have always had a lot of pride in my home, even when I was renting, and I would be honoured to have a home that I can call my own.

Kate read about Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region online and found their homeownership program quite interesting. The more she read, the more she thought that she might be a good candidate. Kate pursued further information and then she completed an expression of interest form and “things just took off from there,” she says.

In February 2022, Kate will move into her own home on Leahy’s Lane and finally be free from the uncertainty that comes with renting.

Habitat homeowners are required to complete a minimum of 500 volunteer hours before they move into their Habitat homes. Kate is currently working hard on achieving her volunteer hours to make her homeownership goal a reality.

When asked what home means to her, Kate says, “home means, first and foremost, family! And a comfortable and safe environment in which one can kick back, enjoy and be themself.”

Interested in learning more about Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region’s homeownership program? Click here.