Exciting Announcement – Meet the New CEO

Posted: 03-Sep-2021

After a thorough due diligence process, the Board of Directors of Habitat for Humanity Peterborough & Kawartha Region are proud to announce that Susan Zambonin has accepted the position of CEO to begin October 4, 2021.

With Susan’s extensive leadership experience, construction knowledge, and determination to build more affordable homes, we are confident that we can help more families across the Peterborough and Kawartha Region achieve affordable homeownership,” says Board Chair, Jill Bennett. “Susan has a proven commitment to Habitat’s core values, helping over 110 families into affordable homeownership through 66 builds in Canada and 4 Global Village builds.

Susan, who is currently the COO with Habitat Peterborough & Kawartha Region, has been involved with Habitat for Humanity for 18 years and has 9 years combined executive leadership experience as CEO of Habitat PEI and Habitat Kingston.

She has won several awards including a Paul Harris Fellow from the Rotary Club of Charlottetown; and from Habitat for Humanity Canada an International Outstanding Contribution Award, Mentorship Award, and the Award of Excellence for creating a volunteer training program. Susan has also done numerous volunteer work and is an avid Rotarian.

We are confident that Susan’s many talents, depth of philanthropic experience with Habitat for Humanity, and proven strategic and collaborative leadership approach, will help us to increase our affordable homebuilding efforts throughout the Region, including the City and County of Peterborough, City of Kawartha Lakes, and Haliburton County.

Jill Bennett

Susan will be taking over from Sarah Budd, who has led the organization for almost 15 years. The Board would like to thank Sarah for her amazing contributions and commitment during her time as CEO. Most recently, her leadership and vision were instrumental in managing the organization through the pandemic and moving the organization from a builder of single-family homes to a developer of multi-residential communities.

In partnership with the dedicated Board, volunteers, partners, and staff, Susan will undoubtedly be a great leader of Habitat Peterborough & Kawartha Region. Susan is coming on board as the organization embarks on an ambitious new strategic plan and is in the midst of the ongoing pandemic and increased need for affordable housing.

It is an honour and a privilege for me to be Habitat’s new CEO and have a strategic leadership role in creating much-needed affordable housing in our communities,” says Susan. “This is an incredible opportunity to combine my passion for housing with my professional experience to continue to grow this respected organization. For over 18 years, I have been a leader in the fight for more affordable housing and I am very honoured to lead this great team in the Peterborough and Kawartha Region.

If you have any questions concerning the CEO transition, please contact Habitat Peterborough & Kawartha Region’s Director of Communications & Engagement, Christina Skuce, at christina@habitatpkr.ca.